Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Political Error

On February 18, 2010 there was a press conference conducted by Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo about the small plane crash into a northwest Austin building.“I can tell you, categorically, that there is no cause for concern from a law enforcement OR a terrorism perspective. Uh, this incident is contained. It's under control. The one point I need to point out is that this is an isolated incident here, that there is no cause for alarm, and that people should continue their lives as they would any other day of the week”, said Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo. Mr. Acevedo should have been asked and responded this question: “we were told after 9/11 that we had to take time to understand why there was so much rage against us from the militant Islamists. And even now, our own president has said that we must have policies that show the Muslim world that we mean them no ill will. We're willing to try their terrorists, the masterminds of 9/11 in our own civil courts, to show that we mean no ill will. Will there be a similar request on the part of government officials to make sure we show no ill intent toward this pilot and maybe find out what it is that had him so ticked off?" I mean, if we're going to spend now, what, 10 years, 12 years trying to figure out what happened at 9/11, why they hated us so much, should we not spend some time to figure out why this guy hated Bush, hated his wife, hated the IRS, hated his accountant, and hated the Catholic church? The man hated the Catholic Church, hatred President George Bush, hated the IRS, hated his accountant, and hated his wife. Now, should we endeavor to understand why? That question should have been raised. An unidentified reporter did say, "Chief, how do you know it's an isolated incident?"Mr. Acevedo responded, “You know, what? You have to take me at my word now, don't you? That's all I'm going to tell you. The second piece that I think is really important is we're starting to get news reports that -- that this aircraft was stolen. There is a lot of speculation. I can tell you right now that your reports are inaccurate and it is irresponsible journalism to put out information that is not confirmed from law enforcement. Please do not put out speculation. Uh, because this aircraft, I can tell you right now, it was not a stolen aircraft.”Now who would have thought that the media made an error? This can't possibly be. So, an unidentified reporter then says, "Look, we've been seeing on blogs and all that the connection between a house fire in north Austin and a man who put out a suicide note regarding the IRS, his CPA, the Catholic Church, George W. Bush, and his wife."Mr. Acevedo continues, “Terms of the investigation, the investigation is fluid. It is ongoing.”

How could he leave a number of suicides notes on a website, ram into the first floor of a building that houses the IRS, leave a full-fledged manifesto on a website in which he punks President Bush, his accountant, the Catholic Church, his wife, and the IRS? Now, if we wanted to play Senator Rangel's game: "How in the world would this possibly happen? Are we not prepared for terrorism?" They did put a couple F-16s in the air there after the fact. NORAD launched them. But that's what these guys do. Everything is political to them. In all of this, it never even occurred to me to stick this to President Obama. I mean, even after I learned this guy hated President Bush. I could have been sitting here saying, "Hey, it's a Democrat that did this. A Democrat that crashed into that building…" I wasn't going to say that.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,586581,00.html

Pilot Crashes Into Texas Building in Apparent Anti-IRS Suicide

1 comment:

  1. Interesting thoughts. I understand what you are saying, however I don't really think it is the job of Chief Acevedo to answer these political questions. I think if he had been asked those questions, especially right after the incident, it would have been completely inappropriate. I think reasons for all this will be well investigated, however I don't think the actions of this one man can be compared to say, al Qaeda. I think if he had done this in the name of a political group this would be examined very differently. So to some degree I think this is comparing apples to oranges. Also, given the events of 9-11, I think it was appropriate to send out F-16s after the event because at that moment it was better to be safe than sorry, since no one knew if this was part of a greater attack plan. I'm not sure how the fact that this guy ranted against Bush has anything to do with Obama. Clearly you have strong opinions about this, I think your argument would be better served if you framed it in a different way.

    ReplyDelete